YOUNG RAES FLIGHT PLAN
‘Hacking’ the Opportunities Presented to the Next Generation of Aviation Professionals
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return”Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
Aviation is all about passion, excitement and meeting new people! Simply joining and becoming a student member affiliate with the RAeS will simply not do. One needs to take the initiative and make good use of the resources and networking contacts you will come across at events and lectures arranged and organised by the RAeS in the respective State.
Here are the Top 5 ways to make the most of the experience of being involved with the RAeS:
- Design and print a business card (even if you’re a student). This will allow you to exchange business cards with industry reps and aviation professionals who attend the monthly lectures organised by the RAeS.
- Best conversation starter ‘Hello, my name is...’.
- Discuss your degree, what you are learning and who you have as lecturers. You will be surprised to learn (depending on the State) course conveners and guest lecturers in your aviation/aeronautics/astronautics program are regular attendees to lectures! Inquire about the professional’s business and what got them interested in aviation. Don’t be hasty in asking for a job or work experience. This will require time and developing a rapport.
- Be involved with your local aviation/aerospace society at your tertiary education provider and find ways how the RAeS might be of value and how you can support the Society.
- Be proactive! Why stop at being a student affiliate? There are opportunities for students to be committee members at the local state branches (all the more possible if you’re an executive of an on-campus aviation/aerospace society).
This is just for starters. With the RAeS opting to pursue new initiatives for 2015 to generate greater awareness and interest amongst the next generation of aviation professionals, keep watch of new developments on the RAeS Australian website for news and new interactive media items, covering the topic of aviation, upcoming events and a BlogSpot to generate discussion amongst members (students and professionals), amongst other initiatives.
Exciting times lie ahead.